Writers, at all stages of their careers, require help as they develop sparks of ideas into fully fledged projects ready for publication.
As a teacher, I offer writers encouragement, instruction, and inspiration.
As an editor, I offer many years of editorial experience as well as practical insights into the world of publishing.
As a writer, I understand.
My services include:
for beginning writers
* one-on-one mentoring in getting started, including a wide range of creative spurs and writing experiments
* editorial suggestions for revision and taking your work through drafts
for experienced writers
* editorial coaching and manuscript critiques: expert help for writers seeking creative input or an independent editorial opinion for their work, from conception, to diagnostic views on craft, style and usage during drafting, to letting go of final manuscripts
* literary consultancy on commercial aspects of publishing as well as career directions and opportunities for writers
* advice and suggestions on writing book proposals, query letters, and making approaches to agents and publishers
* editorial support for authors interested in publishing their own work
for agents and publishers
* editorial support: editorial coaching, project management, structural editing, copy-editing, reader’s reports, proofreading
* I also enjoy editing works in translation, working with translators and publishers to achieve readable and effective versions of texts in English
for festivals, writers’ conferences, and educational establishments
* writing workshops in a variety of genres (e.g., fiction, nonfiction, poetry, travel writing, history, experimental forms) and on aspects of craft (writing structures, story and narrative, voice and tone, point of view, dialogue, monologue, character, setting) as well as processes in writing (getting started, sustaining your writing, writing as an embodied practice, using the four elements in writing, revising)
* seminars for writers and creative writing students on publishing, e.g., what publishers and agents are looking for; what writers need to know about publishers; writing a synopsis (fiction); writing a book proposal (nonfiction); editing; design and production; marketing and publicity
* mentoring and tutoring students working on projects
* I’m also planning some short courses, e.g., The Four Elements of Fiction, The Four Elements of Nonfiction. More on that in 2013.
If you are interested in any of the above, please make an inquiry via the Contact page.
Testimonials to come.